The Reserve Division is made up of professional men and women who want to give back to their community. These professions include doctors, bankers, engineers, paramedics, firemen and personal business owners.
The STPSO Reserve Division compliments full-time divisions in the areas of Patrol, Special Operations, Corrections and Courthouse Security. Reserves also man the Mounted Division, Boat Patrol, Personal Watercraft Division, Bicycle and Corrections Divisions. Two of our members are paramedics and serve as members of the Sheriff's Office S.W.A.T. Team.
Even though each division serves a different function, all of these folks have one thing in common... they enjoy helping people!
Wherever there is a fair, festival, football game, school function or any number of other activities in St. Tammany Parish, there will be a member of your STPSO Reserve Division there to help promote safety and security while ensuring that everyone has an enjoyable time.
The Reserve Division deputies supplement the full-timers whenever they have the time or whenever they are called upon to do so. These reserves have the same powers and provide the same protection to the people of St. Tammany as full-time deputies. They patrol the streets and answer calls for assistance from our citizens just like any other deputy.
Reserve deputies also assist in educating the public with bicycle safety programs and Lady Beware, the Sheriff’s Office self-defense program geared toward women.
The only difference between the full-time deputies and the reserve deputies is the reserves don't get paid. The payment is the satisfaction of knowing they are doing something extra to HELP.
If you feel you would like to be part of this organization of special men and women, please contact the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office Personnel Division at (985) 726-7700. You may also submit an application online at Online Employment Form.
- Within one year of being a STPSO reserve deputy, you must successfully complete the Louisiana P.O.S.T. academy, which is a 4 to 6-month night class geared to accommodate those with full-time jobs. Classes are held three nights a week, plus every other Saturday.
- Must commit to 24 volunteer hours per month or 72 hours per quarter.
- Must participate in at least 50% of scheduled reserve events (fairs, festivals, parades, etc.)
- Issued all equipment (weapons, uniforms, duty gear, etc.)
- Subject to a full background check